Horton Dome - Tour
Our dome is a 40 foot 5/8 sphere. It is built on a
9 foot high foundation
for an overall height of about 42 feet (cellar floor to cupola roof).
There are 7 Timberline triangular skylights,
4 in one dramatic grouping over
the family room/mezzanine.
The dome has 5 extensions.
If you look at the sketch above, the garage is in one extension, with the master bath above.
Proceeding clockwise (left), the next extension is the front door with a bedroom above. Next
(out of view) is the
kitchen with the sewing/project area above. In the back
is an 8 foot extension with verticle walls containing the family room/mezzanine.
The last extension, to the right
of the garage, is the master bedroom.
We also have the cupola kit
with floor framing option at the top.
Inside, we will have 7 levels:
- Level 1
- - A drive in basement with workshop.
- Level 2
- - Five feet up in the back third of the house (and into the 8 foot extension)
is an entry hall/mud room, and a bedroom with full bath.
- Level 3
- - Four feet up from Level 2, in the front 2/3 of the house is the main level,
foyer, dining/living room,
and master suite.
- Level 4
- - Two steps down from the main level near the center of the dome,
is a sunken conversation pit with gas fireplace.
- Level 5
- - Up three feet from the main level, and over level 2 is the family room
area we call the mezzanine sticking out into an 8 foot extension.
- Level 6
- - Seven feet up from the mezzanine is a sewing/project area,
(looking out looking out the dormer over the front door) and
a full bath connected via a balcony/library area open to
the central area of the main level (3) below.
- Level 7
- - Up 12 feet from level 6 via a spiral stair case is the cuploa floor.
This site created and maintained by Ted Horton
All information and photos in this site are Copyright © 1997 Ted Horton.